~Blood and Bones~
Blood Red Hot Chocolate
- 5 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red gel-paste food coloring
Bring milk and sugar to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves, about 7 minutes. Pour over chocolate, and let stand. When chocolate begins to melt, stir until combined. Whisk in food coloring. Serve immediately with marshmallow bones.
- 6 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Put egg whites and sugar in the heatproof bowl of an electric mixer. Set bowl over a pan of simmering water; whisk constantly until sugar is dissolved and mixture feels warm to the touch, about 5 minutes.
- Return bowl to mixer, and fit mixer with the whisk attachment.Beat on high speed until very stiff peaks form, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer meringue to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch plain round tip, such as a Wilton #1A. Pipe bone shapes, each 5 to 6 inches long, onto two baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Pipe by making one long (not as curvy) S shape, followed by another mirrored S shape atop the first. The pictures below should help. Bake until crisp throughout, about 1 hour. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
Both from Martha Stewart Recipes. Photo from Joy The Baker.